In Grade 10, students continue to build strategies to add to their academic toolkits. They are able to take more courses that reflect their growing interests as they discover who they are and how they contribute to the broader community. Our Guidance team works with students to explore their strengths, skills and interests and how each could connect with future career paths. Students are more confident than they were in Grade 9 and eager to learn and grow.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Improve their research and inquiry skills as they explore complex topics.
- Understand and transfer concepts from one problem to another new problem.
- Accurately identify relevant, achievable goals.
- Take responsibility for their actions, with a focus on living Havergal’s values, and striving to contribute positively to their community.
- Approach new tasks with a positive attitude.
- Enlist social resources (peers, teachers, parents, community) to acquire clarification, feedback or assistance when needed.
- Embrace the future with the confidence they can lead and learn in challenging and unfamiliar contexts.
Curriculum at a Glance
In the Grade 10 classroom, emphasis is placed on synthesizing and evaluating information to gain a deeper understanding of the big ideas and key concepts important in each subject area. Students construct meaning and understanding as they consider conflicting interpretations, arrive at their own informed opinions, use evidence to support their position and actively participate in cross-disciplinary learning. Students can continue to study various international languages and more advanced mathematical concepts. They can make more choices in classes, friends and co-curriculars and further develop their own personal learning path.