Grade 1 marks an exciting transition for your not-so-little-one! Building on what we learned through intentional play and inquiry in Kindergarten, Havergal’s Grade 1 program emphasizes clarity of communication to nurture your child’s confidence. We’ll also focus on fostering the need to treat all people, spaces and nature with kindness and respect.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Foster a sense of social awareness and respect for others.
- Promote self-regulation through recognizing feelings, modeling empathy and adapting to change.
- Clearly communicate thoughts and feelings with increased confidence; emphasis on reading and writing skills.
- Develop collaborative and individual problem-solving skills in all aspects of life.
- Develop their reading and writing behaviours and abilities.
- Develop a strong understanding of numbers and how numbers work, literacy and mathematical concepts.
- Develop an understanding of the community around them and their place in that community.
Curriculum at a Glance
Literacy and mathematics take centre stage for our Grade 1 students, as your child begins to develop the tools to effectively express themselves in words and numbers. Your child’s first foray into formal academic subjects will include Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science, as well as Art, Music and French. Additionally, through movement and healthy living programs, students will learn how to take responsibility for their own safety, stand up for themselves, listen to and respect others and get help when needed. Understanding who they are and what they need to be a member of a community is an emphasis in Grade 1.