Closing Date: February 16, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join our Facilities team as Groundskeeper. This is a full-time position.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administrative staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly-qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us on this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
The Groundskeeper is responsible for the provision of maintenance operations for the plantings and grounds under the leadership of the Manager Grounds, and for provision of support to other Facilities staff in the performance of their duties relating to setups, furniture moves, deliveries, etc.
- Routine grass cutting and trimming.
- Weeding and cultivation of all flower and shrub beds.
- Pruning and trimming of all shrubs and bushes.
- Application of fertilizers and other ground treatments.
- Trimming and control of all ivy on the exterior of the buildings.
- Marking and maintenance of all field lines for various games.
- Assistance to the Manager Grounds in the design of planters, steps, beds, etc.
- Construction and/or installation of new landscape features i.e. steps, beds, etc.
- Maintenance of existing landscape features including irrigation.
- Planting of seasonal flowers in all flowerbeds.
- Removal of snow from parking lots, sidewalks, steps, etc., using mechanical or hand equipment.
- Sand and salting of parking lots, sidewalks, steps, etc., to prevent slippery and dangerous conditions.
- Maintenance of woodlots.
- Clearing of debris from eavestroughs and flat roof drains.
- Routine mechanical maintenance of all hand tools, power tools and machinery and equipment.
- Delivery and pickup of various materials and items in and around the City of Toronto.
- Assistance to other Facilities staff as required to provide function setups, furniture and equipment moves, parking supervision, etc.
- All other duties which may be requested by management.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- 5 or more years of experience in landscaping and snow removal.
- Experience in arboriculture is considered an asset.
- Good computer skills, experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (email).
- Good general knowledge of landscaping maintenance, plant materials and other landscape materials, i.e. interlock paving, plant types, etc.
- Well skilled in the maintenance and repair of landscaping materials, both living and inert.
- Must have a valid Class G vehicle operator’s license and an up-to-date drivers abstract.
- Able to use small power hand tools for the performance of repairs and installations.
- Ability to safely operate large machinery, i.e. snow plows, tractors, wood chippers, top dressers, etc.
- Working knowledge of industry standards and safety guidelines: WHMIS, OHS Act, AODA.
- Frequent lifting, carrying and moving of heavy objects, including materials and finished projects in excess of 65 lbs.
- Working in dusty and dirty conditions with possible extremes of temperature and a requirement for frequent use of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Standing for long periods and working from a crouched or bending position.
- Operation of large equipment for long periods, involving repetitive movements and procedures and exposure to loud noises.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Good communication skills, able to deal directly with faculty, staff, students and visitors; interpret requests and translate into action.
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to provide excellent service.
- Neat and tidy appearance at all times with a requirement to wear a uniform, provided by the college, at all times when on duty.
- Committed to continuous professional development through attendance at trade shows and participation in further education courses.
Demonstrated ability & commitment to the Core & Leadership Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 16, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].