Social Sciences Teacher – Grade 7 to 12
We have an opportunity for an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our faculty and staff as a Grade 7 to 12 Social Sciences Teacher. This is a two (2) month, full-time position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal is grounded in the principles of a liberal arts education and prepares young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding curricular and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking, inquiry-based learning and teamwork within our students.
The Social Science Department at Havergal College is distinguished by exceptional teachers who provide a differentiated approach to Social Science instruction. Through this program, students develop strong literacy, critical thinking, problem-solving, research and inquiry skills. The classroom facilities are inviting, well-equipped, technology-rich environments.
As an experienced Social Science teacher at Havergal College, you will be confident in curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that suggests an authentic commitment to principles of equity and inclusivity, as well as an understanding of the impact of intersectionality on learners in and out of the classroom.
You will optimize the use of the technology available to you. You will support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and be willing to pose and implement innovative solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Your classes will be engaging and dynamic; you will enjoy what you do. Students will find you to be approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive.
A member of the Social Science Department, you will engage in the work of the department in a collegial and supportive manner. You will demonstrate an understanding of the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a life-long learner, you will demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You will participate actively in the life of the school.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Post-Secondary Education in the relevant area of study (e.g. Bachelor of Arts in History or Geography).
- Bachelor of Education and Certification from the Ontario College of Teachers and be a member in ‘Good Standing’.
- A minimum of 3 years exemplary teaching experience.
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices in the areas of curriculum planning and implementation of the most recent Ontario Secondary School Social Studies 1-8, Canadian and World Studies 9-12, and Social Sciences and Humanities 9-12 curricula.
- Knowledge of the assessment practices aligned with the Ontario Ministry of Education’s Growing Success document.
- Knowledge of differing learning needs and a toolbox of strategies for facilitating student success in Social Science.
- Understanding of current research on the role of intersectionality and its impact on students and learning in single-gender schools.
- A commitment to working in collaborative environments.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills.
- A commitment to continued professional development and growth.
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program and the diverse life of the school community.
We offer competitive compensation, including participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, where applicable, and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to Apply To Education no later than April 13, 2021.
We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.