Mandarin Teacher – Grade 7 to 12
We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our faculty as a Grade 7 to 12 Mandarin Teacher. This is a permanent, part-time position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal is grounded in the principles of a liberal arts education and prepares young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding curricular and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking, inquiry-based learning and teamwork within our students.
The Upper School program at Havergal College is distinguished by opportunities for students to develop and learn in an environment that is diverse, stimulating and supportive. Teaching facilities are well equipped and offer bright, technology-rich environments.
Experienced Upper School teachers at Havergal College are confident in curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that is reflective of the way in which girls learn. They support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and are willing and able to use appropriate solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Teachers optimize the use of the technology to support student learning. Classes are engaging and dynamic and teachers genuinely enjoy what they are doing and are approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive.
As members of the Upper School faculty, teachers engage in the work of the Upper School in a collegial and supportive manner. They demonstrate an understanding of the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with parents. As life-long learners, they demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. Teachers actively participate in the life of the school beyond the classroom.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
In order to be considered for this position, candidates will possess the following qualifications, knowledge and experience:
- Relevant university qualifications preferably at the graduate level, e.g. Bachelor of Education and Intermediate/Senior qualifications in Mandarin or equivalent.
- Certification from the Ontario College of Teachers and be a member in ‘Good Standing’ at the Intermediate/Senior level with qualifications in Mandarin.
- A minimum of three years exemplary teaching experience (experience in an independent school setting is an asset).
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices in the areas of curriculum planning and implementation of the most recent Ontario Secondary School Languages curriculum and assessment practices in line with Growing Success.
- A rich toolbox of teaching strategies for facilitating student success in languages, including those with different learning needs.
- Understanding of current research on girls and its impact on teaching and learning.
- A commitment to working in collaborative environments.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills.
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth.
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program the diverse life of the school community.
We offer competitive compensation, including participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, where applicable, and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to Apply To Education no later than May 14, 2021.
We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.