We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our Boarding School as a Boarding Don. This is a full-time, 10 month contract position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s preeminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal is grounded in the principles of a liberal arts education and prepares young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding curricular and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking, inquiry-based learning and teamwork within our students.
The Boarding Don is responsible for assisting with the care of students living in residence at the College. The successful candidate will be committed to the attentive supervision of student Boarders and will work closely with the Head of Boarding to positively contribute to the whole student experience.
Key Responsibilities, Deliverables and Skills
- Responsible for the overall safety and well-being of all Boarding students, and, specifically, for a small cohort of 10-12 Boarders, with respect to knowing each student as a unique individual and being the point of contact for their families, guardians and teachers.
- Develop, organize, implement and supervise a supportive, stimulating Boarding Life program that develops students’ life skills and creates opportunities for social engagement, healthy active living and social/emotional wellbeing.
- Establish open communication and a positive Boarding School culture.
- Establish and maintain professional judgement and personal rapport with Boarding students, providing appropriate guidance and choosing actions that support school policies and procedures in ways that foster student learning and accountability.
- Assist with all aspects of student care, including accompanying students to the medical/dental/hospital appointments when necessary as well as supporting students’ health care, in collaboration with the Health Center Manager and School Physician.
- Attend designated school events, progress and guidance meetings, Boarding School functions and programs and designated school assemblies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary education.
- Bachelor of Education is an asset.
- Commitment to working a rotating schedule of mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends while living on campus during the school session.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level “C” with AED is preferred.
- National Lifeguard – Pool Certification is an asset.
- Experience in independent school education, general education or related fields are assets.
- Exceptional time-management, communication, problem solving, technology and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate energy, enthusiasm and flexibility in engaging, inspiring, managing and developing young people.
We offer competitive compensation and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to express their interest by submitting a letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.