We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our Boarding School as a Boarding Don. This is a full-time, 10 month contract position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s preeminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal is grounded in the principles of a liberal arts education and prepares young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding curricular and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking, inquiry-based learning and teamwork within our students.
The role of Boarding Don is to be a knowledgeable and trustworthy ambassador for the Boarding Program and the school. The Boarding Don is an approachable, attentive, reliable, supportive and understanding member of the Boarding community who, under the direction of the Head of Boarding and in collaboration with other colleagues, enthusiastically engages in the life of the school.
Key Responsibilities, Deliverables and Skills
- Possess a keen interest in working with adolescent girls and a clear understanding of adolescent development.
- Demonstrate energy, enthusiasm and flexibility in engaging, inspiring, managing and developing young people.
- Responsibility for the overall safety and wellbeing of all Boarding students and, specifically, for a small cohort of 10-12 Boarders, with respect to knowing each student as a unique individual and being the point of contact for their families, guardians and teachers.
- Develop, organize, implement and supervise a supportive, stimulating Boarding Life program, that develops students’ life skills and creates opportunities for social engagement, healthy active living and social/emotional wellbeing.
- Establish open communication and a positive Boarding School culture.
- Establish and maintain professional judgement and personal rapport with Boarding students, providing appropriate guidance and choosing actions that support school policies and procedures in ways that foster student learning and accountability.
- Assist with all aspects of student care, including accompanying students to the medical/dental/hospital appointments when necessary as well as supporting students’ health care, as per the medical directives set out by our Health Center Manager and School Physician.
- Attend designated school events; progress and guidance meetings; Boarding School functions and programs; and designated school assemblies and Prayers.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant university educational qualifications are required (e.g. Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Social Work, Bachelor of Nursing).
- Bachelor of Education with a specialization in Science, Mathematics or English Language Learning is an asset.
- Commitment to working a rotating schedule of mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends while living on campus during the school session.
- Second language skills in French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian or Spanish is an asset.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level “C” with AED is preferred.
- National Lifeguard-Pool Certification is an asset.
- Experience in independent education, general education or related fields are assets.
- Exceptional time-management, communication, problem solving, technology and interpersonal skills.
We offer competitive compensation and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to express their interest by submitting a letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 11, 2021.
We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.