HC Mac & Cheese
We know that the HC community loves our mac & cheese. It is undoubtedly one of our busiest lunches whenever we serve it! It’s a simple, easy recipe and you probably already have everything you need to whip up a cozy, comforting dinner.
– Chef Anna
HC Mac & Cheese
4 cups cooked macaroni (or whatever pasta you have)
2.5 cups cheese, grated (we use a nice sharp cheddar)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
600 mL milk
100 mL cream
1 tsp salt divided in half
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1/3 cup panko
A couple of dashes of hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F and pull out a loaf pan for baking your mac & cheese.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and whisk in flour. Cook on low, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- In another sauce pan, heat your milk and cream on low. For an extra flavourful mac & cheese, throw a sprig of rosemary or thyme and a little piece of onion in the milk. Just make sure to
strain it out before you move to the next step.
- Remove the butter and flour from the heat and slowly add in the milk, whisking everything together. Add 1/2 tsp salt and a few dashes of your favourite hot sauce. The hot sauce is not there to make it spicy (unless you want it to) but that acid is going to help balance the overall flavour. Cook on medium low for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and add in your cheese. Mix thoroughly and then using an immersion blender give the mixture a quick buzz. This is going to give you a super smooth
- Mix in your macaroni, taste and add salt if you want.
- Spoon your mixture into your loaf pan.
- In a bowl mix together the panko, smoked paprika and ½ tsp salt. Top your mac & cheese with the panko mix and bake for 20 minutes until the crust is golden and crispy and you see the cheese bubbling up in the corners. Enjoy!