• FONT SIZE

Fluffy Pancakes

Our fluffy pancakes are always a big hit at breakfast. This is a great base recipe for different kinds of pancakes. Substitute the milk for buttermilk if you want buttermilk pancakes or mix in some fresh fruit like blueberries or chopped-up banana. In the summer, I love finely chopping Ontario peaches or strawberries and mixing those into the batter before I cook my pancakes. Treat yourself to pancakes this weekend, you deserve it!

– Chef Anna

Pancakes

Fluffy Pancakes

Ingredients

1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cup milk
1 egg
45 g butter, plus more for cooking

Directions

1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda until well mixed.
  2. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg and milk together.
  3. Melt 45 g of butter and set aside. You don’t want to mix this in while it is very hot or you will run the risk of scrambling the egg.
  4. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until it starts to come together.
  5. Add in the butter and mix lightly. Your batter should be a bit lumpy and pretty thick. When you over-mix pancake batter, you get a dense, bready pancake and you want light, fluffy pancakes.
  6. At HC we usually make our pancake batter the day before we are going to serve them and keep it in the fridge overnight. These pancakes can also be cooked once the batter sits in the fridge
    for about an hour.
  7. Cook your pancakes in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Use butter to coat the pan before scooping in your pancakes. Cook on one side until you start to see bubbles forming in the pancake and then flip and cook the other side for another minute or so.
  8. Serve immediately, jazzed up with your favourite toppings like maple syrup, fresh berries and whipped cream.