• FONT SIZE

Easy Peasy Cheesy Drop Biscuits

For our first recipe we are sharing our super tasty Easy Peasy Cheesy Drop Biscuit. Being a drop biscuit this means no rolling out doughjust scoop and bake! I suggest making a large batch of these. Bake off what you are going to eat that day and then portion the rest of the dough and freeze it. You can bake these right from frozen and have fresh biscuits whenever your heart desires. Have a tasty and cozy weekend HC!

– Chef Anna

Cheese Biscuits

Easy Peasy Cheesy Drop Biscuit Recipe

Yields 12 to 24 biscuits, depending on your scoop size.

Ingredients

2 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
250 g butter cold and cubed
620 mL milk
200 g cheese*

*I usually use cheddar. For optimal cheesy goodness, you’re going to want to shred the cheese into fine, thin ribbons. This will mean that the cheese can become evenly incorporated, giving you lots of delicious little cheese pockets throughout the biscuit.

You can stop there and make a classic cheesy biscuit, but the great thing about this recipe is that you can make it with so many different add-ins. Here are a few I’ve tried out in the last few days; have fun with it and make it your own:

• cheddar and chive (¼ of a bunch)
  • cheddar and herbs (a few sprigs picked and chopped)
  • Monterey Jack, scallion and jalapeno (1 piece each chopped)
  • cheddar and butter sautéed leeks, my personal favourite

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 °F, position a rack in the middle of the oven and prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  3. Whisk in the cold butter and then cheese until uniformly mixed. If you’re adding in anything else like herbs, you want to mix them in now.
  4. At this point you’re probably going to say to yourself, “this seems like a lot of butter and cheese, how will the flour hold this all together?” Trust me, it’ll be fine.
  5. Pour the milk into the bowl and using a rubber spatula fold the mixture together. It’s going to be a bit sticky.
  6. Using an ice cream scoop, portion out the biscuits onto your sheet pan. Bake for 15 min and then rotate your pan. They might look a little weird at this point; again trust me, it’ll be fine. Bake for 10 more minutes. The outside should have a delightful crispy cheesy crust and the inside will be buttery and fluffy. Depending on your oven, the kind of pan you are using and the size of your biscuit the cook time might vary, just keep and eye on it.