Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
Closing Date: May 27, 2022
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is aligned with our core values and reflects our core competencies to join our Finance team as Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis. This is a full-time, permanent position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal offers a contemporary liberal arts education and is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Havergal’s mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and cocurricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, and persons with disabilities. We welcome applicants who are inspired by our mission to prepare young women to make a difference and to take on an ever-changing world with confidence, resilience and global-mindedness.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Finance, the Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis is responsible for developing and leading the financial reporting, planning and analysis and treasury functions for Havergal College and The Havergal College Foundation.
Management Reporting & Analysis
- Manages detailed monthly review and analysis of operating results including variance analysis of plan to actual, developing annual and extended forecasts.
- Proactively identifies areas of concern, challenges the status quo and discusses efficient process changes to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the financial information.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, Finance in preparing timely management reports, variance analysis, trend analysis and financial insight information for the executive management team and Board of Directors.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, Finance in financial report design, including dashboards, that provide a cohesive understanding of and insight into performance.
- Prepares appropriate financial reports for Foundation Board and Executives in support of donor stewardship.
Planning & Budgets
- Coordinates the annual budgeting processes for the College and monitors all program budgets.
- Leads and coordinates the quarterly forecasting process across all business including data collection and full variance analysis, ensuring accurate and timely data for executive decision-making purposes.
- Identifies and implements improvements to the annual operating plan and forecasting process including continually improving the design of the budget models.
- Collaborates with business unit leaders, executives and the accounting team to analyze financial and operational data, understand key business drivers and performance metrics and ultimately inform and enhance decision making across the organization.
- Provides education and support to operational managers and various end users in terms of the operating plan budget preparation, financial management and any other ad hoc requests.
- Development of customized reports for various end users and stakeholder groups.
- Oversees cash management ensuring adequate liquidity, generates reports on cash operations including forecasting both short- and long-term cash levels.
- Seeks out process and system improvement opportunities to drive efficiencies for Finance and our business partners.
- Optimizes the use of Havergal’s Planning and Reporting tools both within Finance and throughout the business.
- Liaise with external auditors, bankers and investment advisors.
- Participates in and/or leads special projects, task groups and selected committees focused on quality, systems and process improvements.
- Coordinates and interprets benchmarking data.
- Prepare and review annual T3010 filings for College and Foundation.
- Ensures all external financial, payroll, tax and other financial and related reports are completed and filed in a timely manner.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrated progressive and relevant experience in FP&A roles.
- A Degree in business/commerce including relevant professional designation (CPA, CMA, CFA).
- Demonstrated flexibility to multi-task in an environment with changing demands and priorities.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and forecast financial data for evidence-based decision making and to prepare financial reports and statements.
- Strong presentation development and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated experience preparing and managing budgets.
- Strong, personable, relationship builder and communicator with excellent customer service skills.
- Change agent with ability to influence and motivate others to achieve established goals.
- Positive can-do attitude and solution-focused mindset.
- Experience in not-for-profit accounting considered an asset.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in database technology and expert Excel skills.
- Proven ability as a strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated commitment to continued professional development through continuing education programs and self-directed learning opportunities.
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Leadership Competencies of:
- Coaching & Developing Others
- Managerial Courage
- Champion Change & Innovation
- Purpose Alignment & Results
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than May 27, 2022.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].