Innovation Program Educator, Faculty Role (HC-X)
Closing Date: February 11, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join our Upper School as an Innovation Program Educator, Faculty Role (HC-X). This is a full-time position starting in September 2024.
Why Teach with Us
At Havergal College, we believe that our strength lies in the collective efforts, talents and accomplishments of our faculty and staff. Together, we can make a positive and lasting impact in the lives of our students. We offer a highly competitive compensation package for teachers, including: a faculty teaching grid that is well above the major urban school boards; contributions to and participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and/or Group RSP; generous holidays that allow employees to recharge; comprehensive health and dental benefits; support for professional development including support for graduate work, additional qualifications (AQs), faculty-wide and individual professional development in teaching and learning, wellbeing, equity and inclusion, assessment and experiential education; and teaching on a beautiful 22-acre campus with excellent facilities.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administration staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly-qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us in this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect, creativity and innovation, collaboration and accountability. To this end, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with disabilities to join our thriving team. We seek candidates who are committed to nurturing a community where integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage thrive.
HC-X is Havergal’s hub for innovative and future-ready programming. From Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality to UN SDGs and Learning for Sustainable Futures, HC-X works across the whole school and across disciplines and grades. HC-X serves the strategic plan of the school by developing student learning experiences and courses that integrate EDI+B and Wellbeing principles and by providing professional development to the faculty. The “X” represents the learning experience that is a differentiator for Havergal students and faculty.
The purpose of this role is to support the development of HC-X courses and programs: Digital Wisdom, Blended Learning Model, TC-9, Virtual Learning Lab and Digital Micro credentials and emerging programming. HC-X educators work collaboratively with their department colleagues and also across the Havergal community.
Working with the Director, HC-X, this role will also support the student co-curricular programming of HC-X. HC-X is a dynamic innovation hub; as such, this position is immersed in approaches of design thinking, experimentation and cycles of feedback. As HC-X continues to grow in project scope, design and delivery of programming, this role will be instrumental in building and consolidating the HC-X purpose and culture of innovation within and beyond Havergal College.
- Co-lead the design, development and facilitation of HC-X courses and projects, such as: Digital Wisdom (supporting the faculty leading Digital Wisdom in Grades 5 and 6; and teaching Digital Wisdom in Grades 7 and 8), TC-9 (Grade 9 Transdisciplinary Course) and Digital Micro credentialing (Grades 9 to 12).
- Leverage cycles of feedback for continuous improvement of courses and programs.
- Support the implementation and iteration of additional HC-X courses as required.
- Support HC-X learning experiences, where appropriate.
- Collaborate with the HC-X team on future courses, projects and co-curricular innovations.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Relevant university qualifications at the Bachelor level.
- Relevant qualifications and experiences as an educator.
- Certification from the Ontario College of Teachers and be a member in ‘Good Standing’.
- A minimum of 3 years exemplary and related teaching experience.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for the practice of innovation, technology integration and blended learning approaches.
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices in the areas of program/curriculum design, planning and implementation; experiential design and facilitation; and assessment and instructional strategies.
- Understanding of how to apply the current research on girls and learning.
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills.
- Able to work in a self-directed manner appropriate to changing needs.
- A proven commitment to working successfully in collaborative environments, both F2F and virtually.
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program the diverse life of the school community.
- Experience in an independent school is an asset.
- An Honours Specialist in at least one area of teaching is an asset.
- A graduate degree in education is an asset.
- Experience in an independent school is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 11, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].