Guidance & University Counsellor
Closing Date: February 14, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join our Upper School as a Guidance & University Counsellor. This is a full-time position starting in September 2024.
Why Teach with Us
At Havergal College, we believe that our strength lies in the collective efforts, talents and accomplishments of our faculty and staff. Together, we can make a positive and lasting impact on the lives of our students. We offer a highly competitive compensation package for teachers, including a faculty teaching grid that is well above the major urban school boards; contributions to and participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and/or Group RSP; generous holidays that allow employees to recharge; comprehensive health and dental benefits; support for professional development including support for graduate work, additional qualifications (AQs), faculty-wide and individual professional development in teaching and learning, wellbeing, equity and inclusion, assessment, and experiential education; and teaching on a beautiful 22-acre campus with excellent facilities.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administration staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us in this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect, creativity and innovation, collaboration and accountability. To this end, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with disabilities to join our thriving team. We seek candidates who are committed to nurturing a community where integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage thrive.
The Guidance Department at Havergal College oversees the academic and post-secondary counselling as well as supports the social-emotional development of high-performing, driven students from Grades 7 – 12. As a guidance counsellor in this department, you will be coaching and monitoring the wellbeing of a caseload of students as you oversee their progress throughout their Upper School years at Havergal, assisting them in discovering their values and purpose and in developing agency. You will work with a collaborative and dynamic department in supporting faculty as they develop strategies and approaches to meet the needs of a diverse and exceptional group of learners. You will share your expertise with parents and the broader community.
As an experienced guidance counsellor and/or educator, you will:
- Be practiced in the individual coaching and counselling of a diverse study body.
- Bring strong expertise in the areas of post-secondary programs, requirements, applications, and scholarships in Canada, the US, the UK and other international destinations.
- Develop engaging and dynamic group programming (academic, post-secondary & social-emotional).
- Bring empathy, approachability, authenticity and innovation to your work with students.
- Bring life-long learning to the school and demonstrate a commitment to professional development and growth.
This faculty role reports directly to the Co-Directors of Guidance under the leadership of the Vice Principal of Student Life and Wellbeing. This role also works collaboratively with other members of the Student Support team (Learning Support, Social Workers, Health Centre, Chaplain) and other school administrators including the Head of Middle and/or Head of Senior School.
Energy and a willingness to contribute to the diverse life of the school community are expected, including the co-curricular, club, and global education programs.
- Provides academic and post-secondary counselling to students from Grades 7-12. This includes cousnelling students in post-seconary paths (Ontario, Canada, US, UK & International) and provides highly-personalized support for their applications, scholarship research, and decision-making process.
- Coaches and monitors the social-emotional development of students, overseeing their progress throughout their Middle and Senior School years at Havergal, assisting them in discovering their values, and purpose and in developing agency.
- Under the direction of the Director, Guidance Academic & University Counselling, prepare and deliver information on the post-secondary pathways, course selection and post-secondary application process for students and parents.
- Supports all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and is willing to bring innovative solutions to challenges experienced by students.
- Demonstrates an approach to counselling that is reflective of best practices in supporting adolescent girls.
- Collaborates with and supports faculty regarding the social-emotional and academic needs of students and assists them in developing strategies and approaches to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners.
- Works with a collaborative and dynamic Student Support team to proactively look at individual student and broader community wellbeing programming and supports.
- Builds positive and trusting relationships with parents and caregivers and shares expertise with parents and the broader community.
- Understands and respects the confidential nature of the work associated with this.
- Maintains exceptional documentation, ensuring student support files are accurate and current.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- A relevant university degree, including a Bachelor of Education or equivalent.
- Additional qualifications in Guidance and/or relevant graduate training.
- Experience in academic, post-secondary and personal counselling with adolescents with an accompanying toolbox of strategies for facilitating student success in all areas of student life.
- Teaching experience in an intermediate and secondary school setting (Grades 7 – 12) and a solid understanding of the Ontario Ministry of Education’s curriculum.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian, US and UK post-secondary programs and application process.
- Knowledge of current research on girls, especially as it relates to learning, social and emotional development, mental health, and strategies for promoting overall wellbeing.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal, with a proven ability to be compassionate and clear.
- Comfort using technology for information storage, retrieval and communication, as well as familiarity and comfort navigating post-secondary application/information portals (OUAC, UCAS, Common App, etc.).
- An ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth.
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular. club, global/experiential education programs, and the diverse life of the school community.
- Experience in an independent school setting and additional qualifications in Special Education will be considered assets.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Leadership Competencies of:
- Coach & Develop Others
- Managerial Courage
- Champion Change & Innovation
- Purpose Alignment & Results
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 14, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].