Donor Services Coordinator
Closing Date: December 12, 2022
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is aligned with our core values and reflects our core competencies to join our Advancement team as the Donor Services Coordinator. This is a full-time position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal offers a contemporary liberal arts education and is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Havergal’s mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples and persons with disabilities. We welcome applicants who are inspired by our mission to prepare young women to make a difference and to take on an ever-changing world with confidence, resilience and global-mindedness.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Advancement and liaising with the Director, Major Gifts and the Manager, Annual and Leadership Giving, the Donor Services Coordinator is responsible for providing donor relations and services support for all fundraising programs. As the primary contact for donors and prospective donors reaching out by phone, online, email or in person, the position requires an individual with excellent communication and organizational skills, with exemplary donor service orientation and a collaborative mindset with colleagues at Advancement, Finance and others.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to responding to or re-directing inquiries and requests including mail, contacting donors about donation-related issues, managing address updates for donors and alums as well as other related data entry, donation entries into the database and supporting other maintenance of donor records such as agreements and forms and coding to appropriate coding to funds, receiving and recording donations prior to its transfer to the Finance team for depositing, other donor database management, pulling donor financial reporting as needed, preparing acknowledgement letters that accompany tax receipts, ensuring that tax receipts have been disbursed, preparing pledge reminders and thank you notes, supporting mail-outs including preparation of mailing lists and deployment of mail pieces, etc. A key part of the role will be working collaboratively with the Advancements and Finance teams to ensure alignment and adhere to appropriate alignment and adherence to processes, policies, guidelines and systems to ensure a smooth pathway for Havergal and for its partners.
The candidate will be an individual who brings an energy and experience with working with donors on the technical aspects of their donations and is committed to understanding their needs while aligning it with that of Havergal College. The ideal candidate should also be interested in streamlining and executing processes and systems that ultimately demonstrate a mindset of the importance of the accurate, timely provision of donor management, engagement and relationship-building services that lead to positive relationships between donors and Havergal College.
- Responsible for all donations management such as online and off-line gift processing, as well as data management including gift verification and accurate entry into the donor database.
- Collaborate with the Finance team in order to ensure that offline and online donations—cash, cheques, credit card and gifts of securities—are deposited or accepted as needed, and that donors are provided with acknowledgement letters and tax receipts as appropriate.
- Work with the Finance team and the Senior Development Officer, Donor Engagement and Stewardship to ensure that appropriate coding of donations to relevant funds occurs.
- Ensure that the online donations system is operating in an optimal manner in its function to accept donations, provide acknowledgement letters and tax receipts in a timely and accurate manner.
- Work with alum, student or parent volunteers for the gathering, recording and depositing of donations for the various fundraising opportunities initiated by those stakeholders and creating reports that summarize the activities and results.
- Prepare and send pledge reminders and other thank you notes.
- Support electronic or hard-copy mail outs through verification of database information support and disbursement.
- Function as an integral part of the team in the maintenance and review of donor gift agreements and related materials such as summary sheets.
- Maintain a record of all online and offline donations as a secondary chronicle of donations.
- Gather and analyze information on donations on a weekly basis, and collaborate with other Advancement and Finance team members to verify information for regular reporting on donations.
- Adhere to donor policies such as gift acceptance, naming and recognition.
- Respond to donors about issues, questions or requests, and work to solve the issue, with the support of other team members, to its conclusion in a timely manner.
- Conduct and support updates to the personal information of donors, who may also be parents and/or alums.
- Act as the main point of contact by phone, mail or email for questions about donations and other donor services.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Three or more years of donor relations experience particularly in donations management areas such as gift processing, tax receipt assignment and distribution, donor and donations data management including verification and entry, as well as acknowledgement of donations, reporting services and front-line customer service response and follow-through.
- Relevant post-secondary education and equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Willingness and ability to understand the needs and interests of donors in order to support the development of relationships with Havergal College.
- Interest in education and a dedication to promoting the school’s fundraising priorities through the development of good working relationships with advancement team members, Finance team members, faculty, senior academic leaders, parents, alums and students.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully support multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Excellent customer service orientation with ability to deal with competing priorities in a multi-faceted environment.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal, initiative-oriented, analytical and organization skills required.
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core & Leadership Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than December 12, 2022.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].