Design Lab Supervisor – Grade 7 to 12
Closing Date: February 11, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join our Upper School as a Design Lab Supervisor – Grade 7 to 12. This is a full-time position starting in September 2024. This is a non-teaching role.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administration staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us in this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect, creativity and innovation, collaboration and accountability. To this end, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with disabilities to join our thriving team. We seek candidates who are committed to nurturing a community where integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage thrive.
The role of the Design Lab Supervisor will be to inspire learning in the Design Lab, where student interests are supported with exposure to diverse opportunities for creative and technical learning. They will foster an environment that supports STEAM approaches to education in the school’s academic and co-curricular programs working with faculty, staff and students. While guided by the school’s strategic plan, school-wide goals and curricular expectations, the role is responsive in nature and shaped by the stakeholders’ needs and interests.
- Promotes and develops opportunities for Design Lab use and integration.
- Develops curriculum for the Design Lab, focusing on design and technology.
- Improves the Design Lab curricular and co-curricular offerings; modification or redesign of lab material in addition to development of innovative material for new activities.
- Assists faculty and students to utilize the Design Lab by providing professional development opportunities and as well time for student or faculty drop-in activities.
- Organizes student workshops, including supplies and tools and demonstrates the proper use of workshop equipment and tools.
- Leads Co-Curricular and Club activities throughout the school.
- Provides mentoring and technical support to students and participates as a supervisor/advisor for student design projects.
- Establishes protocols for the safe and effective use of the Design Lab; monitors and maintains optional safety conditions in the Design Lab.
- Maintains the Design Lab following health and safety standards.
- Develop a community outreach program that is beneficial to the school and its students and arrange public access to facilities as appropriate (e.g. during March Break and the summer).
- Responsible for procurement of supplies and equipment for design activities.
- Manages and tracks funds used to supplement student design project costs.
- Tracks expenses and develops budget proposals for new programs.
- Makes informed requests for new tools, technologies and other resources.
- Proposes and implements improvements to the functionality and use of the Design Lab to keep the Design Lab current with new technology.
- The work day is somewhat flexible to support students and faculty between 8 am and 6 pm on a regular basis.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Relevant university qualifications (a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as: Design, Engineering, Technology or the Arts).
- Experience working in a design lab or maker space is required.
- A minimum of three years exemplary experience in a similar role working with students.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to produce curriculum and engaging programming.
- Excellent and demonstrable oral and written communication skills.
- Experienced with, or has the demeanour and desire to interact with students professionally to provide technical advice and instructional material.
- Experience with providing coaching to teachers/faculty/instructors in design thinking, principles of design, project-based learning.
- Experience with building projects and facility learning and using digital fabrication tools (3D printing, laser cutting, milling, sewing and embroidery, CAD 2D and 3D design), code, craft, wood and electronics.
- Entry-level object or text-based programming skills.
- Experience working and contributing to practices that incorporate STEAM or design thinking approaches to learning is preferred.
- An appreciation for tinkering (using play to come up with new ideas) is necessary.
- Current WHMIS and First Aid certificate and/or willingness to obtain certification prior to start required.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 11, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].