Building Operator (HVAC)
Closing Date: December 12, 2022
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is aligned with our core values and reflects our core competencies to join our Facilities Department as the Building Operator. This is a full-time position.
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At the forefront of women’s education for over 125 years, Havergal offers a contemporary liberal arts education and is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Havergal’s mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples and persons with disabilities. We welcome applicants who are inspired by our mission to prepare young women to make a difference and to take on an ever-changing world with confidence, resilience and global-mindedness.
The Building Operator is responsible for provision of support and services to all members of staff to ensure the safe, efficient operation of the school. Duties include general maintenance of the building structure and systems, minor repairs, preventative maintenance tasks, event set up/take down and provision of assistance to other Facilities staff in the performance of their duties when required. Must be able to work in a safety conscious and team-oriented environment. Must maintain a consistent and good attendance record in accordance with school policy.
- Daily monitoring of Maintenance Request electronic ticketing/work order system and completing the same under the direction of a building manager or Director of Facilities.
- Visually inspecting pumps, fans, motors, pipes, belts, etc. and reporting problems to a building manager or Director of Facilities.
- Perform periodic maintenance tasks such as greasing bearings, replacing filters and belts where required.
- Perform chemical tests of heating, chilled, and pool water along with adding relevant chemicals to maintain correct readings.
- Carry out repairs to defective equipment if within capabilities or assisting other staff or contractors with such repairs.
- Monitor the Building Automation System (BAS) and investigate equipment failures/alarms.
- Minor building maintenance and repairs including but not limited to:
- Hanging of picture frames, cork boards/whiteboards, assembly of furniture, etc.
- Caulking, painting, floor tiling, etc.
- Carpentry work as required.
- Minor plumbing including but not limited to faucet replacement, toilet and trap cleaning/unplugging.
- Minor electrical repairs such as light and ballast replacements.
- Maintain the upkeep of mechanical and electrical rooms.
- Providing support to Grounds staff in the event of heavy snow falls or other emergency situations.
- Conduct regular safety and property inspections and report any noted deficiencies to the building services manager or Director of Facilities.
- Relocate and move furniture as required for room setups and takedowns for events and functions working with Room Bookings personnel as required.
- Responds to calls/requests made over the walkie-talkie (i.e. from Security or main Facilities office).
- All other duties which may be requested by management.
- Frequent lifting, carrying and moving of heavy objects including materials, furniture, mechanical equipment, fixtures, etc. in excess of 65 lbs.
- Working in dusty and dirty conditions (i.e. workshop, service tunnel, mechanical/electrical rooms, etc.) with a requirement for frequent use of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Standing for long periods and working overhead or from a crouched or bending position.
- Use of ladders and manlifts.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Good communication skills, able to deal directly with faculty, staff, students and visitors, interpret requests and translate into action.
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to provide excellent service.
- Neat and tidy appearance at all times with a requirement to wear a uniform, provided by the college, at all times when on duty.
- Ability to work outside of core business hours when required.
- Committed to continuous professional development through attendance at trade shows and participation in further education courses.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Good knowledge of minor electrical repairs.
- Education: Completion of Building Environmental Systems Operator I/II or equivalent education/work experience.
- Experience: 5-10 years minimum experience working within a building operator/maintenance role.
- Strong knowledge in building systems including HVAC, BAS, life safety and electrical systems.
- Good computer skills, experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Gmail (email).
- Good knowledge of general building repairs and materials.
- Good knowledge of minor electrical repairs.
- Good knowledge of minor plumbing repairs
- Ability to perform minor repairs to mechanical and electrical equipment, i.e. changing fan belts or filters.
- Ability to read floor plans/set-up diagrams along with excellent reading and writing skills.
- Experienced with the safe use and operation of shop and hand tools.
- Working knowledge of industry standards and safety guidelines, WHMIS, OHS Act, AODA.
Demonstrated ability & commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Collaborative Team Player
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Reflective Thinking
- Globally Minded
- Self- Management
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than December 12, 2022.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].