Advancement Officer, Donor Engagement
Closing Date: February 11, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join Havergal College as Advancement Officer, Donor Engagement. This is a full-time position.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12.At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administrative staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly-qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us on this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect, creativity and innovation, collaboration and accountability. To this end, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with disabilities to join our thriving team. We seek candidates who are committed to nurturing a community where integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage thrive.
Under the direction of the Director, Development, and in partnership with the Advancement team, the Advancement Officer, Donor Engagement supports the coordination of and executes cultivation and stewardship activities, including events, tasks and initiatives, including the comprehensive gift acknowledgement, recognition and impact update efforts of Havergal College to ensure that donors are engaged, thanked, recognized and made aware of the impact of their donations, fostering long-term engagement and on-going investment. Program engagement, gift acknowledgement, recognition and impact updates include managing the protocols for, and execution of accurate, timely and meaningful expressions of engagement, gratitude, ongoing monitoring of the deliverables associated with the donation and collecting and shaping the information that speak to the impact of those donations for reporting purposes to the school and to its donors. This involves demonstrating accountability in accordance with donors’ expectations in consultation with the agreement formally articulated by Havergal, conveying ongoing appreciation, and reporting on the impact of donor’s gifts in fulfilling the mission, values and strategic priorities of Havergal.
- Work in concert with leads of initiatives and events on the Advancement team to ensure proper, timely support and coordination of planned tasks and activities that appropriately execute on the plan, objectives and targets of the advancement team’s work with donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Prepare and/or reviews all gift acknowledgements such as thank you cards and letters and Impact and stewardship reports.
- Manage schedule and system of gift acknowledgement for various types of donations and donors, and coordinating or developing impactful expressions of appreciation and updates that would be delivered by various leadership members or others.
- Work closely with faculty, staff and Advancement staff to report to donors on the use of gifts, to arrange meetings between donors and beneficiaries if appropriate and to help celebrate gifts through gift announcement events and activities or stewardship events and activities.
- Maintain reporting on all completed and pending acknowledgement activities.
- Run reports and analyze donor data to determine priorities for appropriate levels of gift acknowledgement and relevant updates.
- Record important and relevant donor information and interactions in the database.
- Consult and/or notify Advancement staff of activities related to their assigned donors; assign thank-you and other efforts as needed.
- Collaborate with Major Gifts Officers to develop customized stewardship plans and commensurate information for major donors.
- Produce customized acknowledgement letters for major donors and Governors and Trustees on behalf of the Executive Director, Advancement, the Principal and the Chair of the Board of Governors.
- Work with the Advancement and communications staff in the creation and deployment of effective, impactful stewardship materials such as the Impact Report and stewardship reports.
- Work closely, regularly and in a systematic way with various Havergal groups such as the Business Office/Finance, the Heads of School, and other leadership to support donor funds being spent in a timely manner and in the manner in which they were intended.
- Create systems and processes that aid and guide an overall stewardship plan that honours past arrangements and looks to the future of increasingly effective donor partnerships.
- Upload all acknowledgement and stewardship documents to the database.
- Jointly maintain gift agreement records and refer to them consistently to ensure fulfillment of deliverables, leading to more effective updates.
- Work collaboratively to support the implementation of gift agreement arrangements and deliverables and apply existing cultivation and stewardship policies and maintain a complete list of major gift donor deliverables and recognition and stewardship activities.
- Maintain naming and signage inventory of existing as well as future opportunities, the latter to be done in consultation with the Executive Director, Advancement and Director of Development.
- Work collaboratively with the Director, Development to update, create, shape, and make recommendations to existing and new recognition and stewardship policies such as naming.
- Contribute to discussions about donor engagement opportunities that create increasing engagement and investment.
- Manage process that leads to the update of information on various forums and portals such as donor walls and in publications, as well as advocate for promotion of key donors and their support and initiatives on Havergal’s social media and other communications platforms.
- Participate in professional development opportunities in donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend best practices of other organizations for donor engagement and stewardship.
- Other engagement and stewardship duties as needed/assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3 plus years relevant experience, preferably in development, stewardship or advancement programs and services.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Experience with a fundraising database.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Solid attention to detail.
- Respectful and firm customer service orientation.
- Organized, meticulous and flexible.
- Ability to work within an environment that emphasizes teamwork as well as individual initiative.
- Sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to honour confidentiality and discretion.
Demonstrated ability & commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 11, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].