Closing Date: February 23, 2024
Job Term: Full Time
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission and whose beliefs align with our core values of integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage, and reflects our core competencies to join Havergal College as an Accounting Analyst. This is a full-time, in-office position.
Why Havergal is the Place to Be
Founded in 1894 and located on a beautiful 22-acre campus in midtown Toronto, Canada, Havergal College is one of Canada’s pre-eminent independent schools for girls from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. At Havergal College, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. With a rich history spanning over 125 years, we are committed to offering a contemporary liberal arts education, which is rooted in the Anglican tradition. Our mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. Through our outstanding academic and co-curricular programs, and a cohesive and collegial team of faculty and administrative staff, we nurture a culture of capability that fosters self-confidence, leadership, critical thinking and global-mindedness within our students.
We take pride in attracting and retaining highly-qualified faculty and administration staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence. Join us on this transformative journey of education, working together to empower young women to make a positive difference in our world.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment fosters a culture of mutual respect, creativity and innovation, collaboration and accountability. To this end, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with disabilities to join our thriving team. We seek candidates who are committed to nurturing a community where integrity, compassion, inquiry and courage thrive.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Operations, this position plays a key role in the Accounting functions for Havergal College supporting Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Retail Store and General Accounting.
- Ensure accounting transactions and data entry documents meet generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare and file monthly HST returns.
- Participates in month-end and year-end closing procedures.
- Assist with preparation of Annual Returns (T3010) for the College.
- Assist with annual audits for the College.
- Participate in Annual Student Enrollment Process.
- Assist in Green & Gold (school retail store) as required.
- Assists with preparation of month-end reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Accounts Payable (AP)
- Timely and accurate processing of invoices and payments, ensuring proper HST tax and rebate coding, entering tax self-assessments as required.
- Maintenance of vendor master file including review of vendor terms and archiving of contracts.
- Cheque printing and distribution, processing electronic payments and wire payments.
- Follow up with departments on outstanding purchase orders and invoices.
- Reconciliation of vendor statements, expense reports and credit card statements.
- Train members of faculty and staff on the Havergal purchase order system.
Accounts Receivable (AR)
- Processes all school billing and credits including student scholarship and bursary awards.
- Receives and applies all cash, cheque, online, wire and credit card payments daily.
- Reconcile, prepare and process daily bank deposit, either electronically or at bank.
- Maintains and sends monthly EFT file.
- Review AR aging for follow-up on overdue accounts.
- Administer Boarder Health Insurance Coverage and Tuition Insurance Plan.
- Handling external and internal inquires.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Working towards or completion of professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Minimum two years related experience of full cycle accounting, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Practical knowledge of accounting practices and relevant government legislation, including CRA charitable tax receipt guidelines.
- Experience using databases, building queries, etc.
- Expert Excel skills.
- Proven problem-solving, analytical skills and strong attention to detail are a necessity.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, meet tight deadlines and adapt in a busy changing office environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills.
- Excellent Customer Service focus.
- Ability to work successfully both in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Maintain high standard of discretion dealing with confidential information.
Demonstrated ability & commitment to the Core Competencies of:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest to HC Careers no later than February 23, 2024.
Havergal College thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].