It is an exciting time at Havergal as 2019 marks the school’s milestone 125th anniversary! Join us this year as we celebrate 125 years of academic excellence for young women.
Since we opened our doors in September 1894, more than 9,000 graduates have walked through the halls of Havergal. Our Old Girls are an important part of our legacy and have inspired our faculty, staff and students over the years in so many ways. This year, we not only celebrate a century and a quarter of the school’s existence, but we also honour the accomplishments of our Old Girls and current students, who continue to make a difference in the world as responsible global citizens.
Our goal in 2019 is to shine a light on our past while we look ahead to the future. Havergal’s long-standing reputation rests on the principles of a liberal arts education and a culture of learning, which still rings true today. Throughout the years, we have been guided by our core values—integrity, inquiry, compassion and courage—and have instilled in our students the confidence needed to make a difference in the world.
We will commemorate this important milestone throughout the year in the following ways:
- Old Girls are invited to Upper School Prayers for a special 125 Legacy Prayers with the Class of 2019 on Friday, January 18.
- Community members are invited to attend a special anniversary Founders’ Day on Thursday, April 25.
- Join us for Past, Present, Future, a celebratory event featuring dance, drama and musical performances at Roy Thomson Hall on the evening of Friday, May 3.
- Also on May 3, we will induct 22 Old Girls into the Hall of Distinction, which will bring our inductee total to 125.
- In the fall of 2019, look for a new e-book capturing Havergal’s past 25 years, from 1994 to 2019.
We hope that you are as excited as we are to mark this historic occasion. While we reflect on our past this year, we also bear in mind the question that our first Principal, Ellen Knox, asked her students—“what are you going to do?”—which continues to guides us into another inspiring century of excellence in education.